Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A New Sense of Hope

Along with millions of Americans, I watched intently as our new President presented to Congress for the first time, his response to the enormous challenges we face as a nation, as well as to spell out his priorities for his first term in office. This was truly an historical moment, as it was the first time in history that an African American male has served as President and delivered his speech with the first female Speaker of House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, and his white Vice President, Joe Biden, behind him.

President Obama made full use of his oratorical skills that the good Lord blessed him with, and did what the President should and must do in times of crisis, which is to be the cheerleader for the American people and provide hope. However, the President, nor the members of Congress and the Executive Branch, can overcome these challenges alone. All of us, male, female, young, old, white, black, brown, and yellow, need to do what Americans have always done, put our petty issues aside and come together to face these challenges.

President Obama’s speech was also historical for me, both personally and selfishly, as this was the first time in my memory, since Richard Nixon in 1971, that I have heard a President say that it is a priority to cure cancer in our lifetime! For the past 30 years, I have dedicated my life with the help and support of so many people, to the founding and building of Camp Good Days and Special Times. Over the years, Camp Good Days has served more than 41,000 campers from 22 states and 25 foreign countries and many of the programs and services started here have been used as models for other cancer treatment centers and organizations all over the world.

While nothing we do at Camp Good Days will find a cure for cancer, I have seen what the diagnosis of cancer can do, both emotionally and financially, to the person battling this horrible disease and their family. I have been to more funerals than anyone should ever go to, because of this disease that will kill some 600,000 Americans this year and more than seven million people around the world. One out of every three women and one out of every two men will face a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime and for those under the age of 80, cancer is the leading cause of death.

It has been my dream that during my lifetime, I would no longer have to watch parents go against the laws of nature and bury their children, as I did, and instead children should be burying their parents after a long and prosperous life. After watching and listening to President Obama, I turned off my television and I went to bed with a new sense of hope!

No comments: