Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Passing of a Close Friend


I hope that all is well with you.  I will take credit for the nicer than usual weather we have been having, which Wendy and I brought back with us from Florida.  

A week ago, on Sunday, I received a call from the son of one of my best friends, Skip DeBiase, telling me that Skip had passed away.  Skip’s son asked if I would be willing to read the eulogy, which I was honored to do, but it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do since Skip and I had been friends for over 40 years.   

Skip had struggled with back problems and surgeries, which caused bouts of depression, and then he got the worst news anyone could get; that he has a malignant tumor.  He was told that he should start chemotherapy and radiation, but Skip chose not to.  Like everything else in Skip’s life, he chose to leave this world on his own terms.

Over the summer, I was at camp while Skip was staying at home and didn’t want to see anyone.  I wrote him a letter expressing my love of our friendship, which I have pictured below for you all to see.  I hope that this letter will show you how close our friendship was, and how much I truly cared and loved him.


No comments: